[oletrucks] Differential ID

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Differential ID
From: "David Krucas" <KRUC@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:05:01 -0700
Greetings,
  It's finally time for me to start on my '57's upgrade. I plan a 3.73
ratio connected to a 700R4, and MII IFS with 5 lugs up front. The present
rear end on the truck grinds and needs a bearing on one side, and has drum
brakes with 6 lugs. Before I go to the hotrod shop to discuss things, I
need help with a differential I have in the backyard. I got it cheap from
an aquaintance who moved, but want to know if it'll work for me, otherwise
I'll try to trade it. It has one tag with "SPIN RESISTANT DIFF use approved
lubricant only" and another tag with "P/ N 10040660  RATIO 2.77  SER No.
14330". The front of the pumpkin has "0578 - 026901" cast into it, has disk
brakes, and measures 62 1/2" from side to side. I was told it came out of
an ' 80's GM car. The big questions are:
1. How close is this to stock width?
2. Can this be re-geared to 3.73?
3. How much are the gears? How much is the install for them?
4. Would I be better off going with a 9" dorF since I'll be using a MII
IFS, and I would like to carry just one spare tire?
Thanks a million.
Dave '57 short step in San Diego