Re: [oletrucks] installing a rear end in a 50 3100

To: "Grant Galbraith" <trks@javanet.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] installing a rear end in a 50 3100
From: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:51:02 -0700
Grant-

Sounds like you may have done something that I want to look at doing.  I
have a '50 3600, stock except for the '59 235 engine.  I'm not sure if the
4-speed transmission and rear end came with the truck or the motor, but it
runs great in its current condition.  With the big 16's on Ford 8-hole rims,
I cruise at 50, and can go 60 at a decent RPM.

What I'm thinking about is changing the rear end for something a with a
little less torque, and a little more economy.  Is this something that I can
do without cutting up the frame?  I'd love to keep it as stock as I can,
with the drum brakes, and all, but would also like to drive comfortably on
the freeway when I have to, and not use so much gas.  Any thoughts?

Thanks-

Smokey
'50 3600 5-window