[oletrucks] Stronger T-5?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Stronger T-5?
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:21:05 EDT
        I received a very interesting email from a fellow that reads our
list, but is not a member and can't make the post directly. What he had to
say seemed of such value that I asked his permission to share it with all of
you. I have never been much of a 'box man, so I'll just make the disclamer
that I don't know what would be involved in doing the modifications
suggested. Thanks Mike for your encouraging sugestions.

        "I am still not a list member but I read the archive at lunch at
work. One
solution that I have heard of for the T5 problem is to combine parts from
an S-10 T5 with a World Class T5 ( from a V8 car like a Z-28 or Trans Am
). I understand some of the street rod guys have done this since they have
the same forward shifter location problem that these old trucks have. It's
the shifter location on the S-10 unit that makes it desirable and it's the
robustness of the V8 model that makes it desirable. Just put them
together. I understand that the tailhousing ( which is where the shifter
mechanism is located ) will interchange. The V8 version uses a .63 5th
gear instead of the .72 of the S-10, if I remember correctly. I don't know
if the 37% overdrive would be better than a 28% overdrive in your
application. I hope that this helps.

        Mike Mathis
        Competing member for the title of the Worlds Slowest Truck Restoration
Title."

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/hudson29/myhomepage/index.html