[oletrucks] Engine questions.

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Engine questions.
From: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:04:26 -0700
Before I post my question I would like to give a little background. My
'53 Truck came with a 235 engine that was still sitting on the engine
bay, but it was pretty much all apart, the head was in the bed and it
did no have the peripherals. I did not think this engine was usable, so
I decided to get me another engine. I got a '54 235, this engine was
complete, but I did not know the condition of it, I took it apart and
took to the machine shop, the machine shop guy says that the block has
been over bored too many times, as a matter of fact the pistons were
0.100 oversize. The machine shop told me he can get me a good block for
an extra $150.00. I went back to my shed and looked at the original '53
engine that came with the truck, I took it apart and noticed that the
pistons were 0.040 oversize, not only that, but the bearings and
journals all look pretty good, also while cleaning the block I found an
old engine re-manufacturing company tag from a place in So. Cal.
My question is the following: Can I use the '53 block (original dipper
engine) with the crank and cam from the '54, also the connecting rods
and convert it from a dipper to a full pressure engine?. The machinist
seems to think that this is OK, he told me that the only conversion that
cannot be done is to convert a solid lifter engine to a hydraulic lifter
engine. Are there any major differences between the two years other than
the oiling system? I noticed that the main bearings are not the poured
type but the insert type.

Thanks,

Antonio R. Tijerino
'53 3100