Re: [oletrucks] Engine questions.

To: antonio@innercite.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine questions.
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 02:07:16 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/99 10:16:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
antonio@innercite.com writes:

<< Before I post my question I would like to give a little background. My
 '53 Truck came with a 235 engine that was still sitting on the engine
 bay, but it was pretty much all apart, the head was in the bed and it
 did no have the peripherals. I did not think this engine was usable, so
 I decided to get me another engine. I got a '54 235, this engine was
 complete, but I did not know the condition of it, I took it apart and
 took to the machine shop, the machine shop guy says that the block has
 been over bored too many times, as a matter of fact the pistons were
 0.100 oversize. The machine shop told me he can get me a good block for
 an extra $150.00. I went back to my shed and looked at the original '53
 engine that came with the truck, I took it apart and noticed that the
 pistons were 0.040 oversize, not only that, but the bearings and
 journals all look pretty good, also while cleaning the block I found an
 old engine re-manufacturing company tag from a place in So. Cal.
 My question is the following: Can I use the '53 block (original dipper
 engine) with the crank and cam from the '54, also the connecting rods
 and convert it from a dipper to a full pressure engine?. The machinist
 seems to think that this is OK, he told me that the only conversion that
 cannot be done is to convert a solid lifter engine to a hydraulic lifter
 engine. Are there any major differences between the two years other than
 the oiling system? I noticed that the main bearings are not the poured
 type but the insert type.

 Thanks,

 Antonio R. Tijerino
 '53 3100 >>

  Hmmn,

  Not that I'm one to argue with a machinist, but there is a bit of work
involved to drill everything for full pressure, but it can be done, but I'd
guess the cost to be the same as what he could find you another block for.

  Regarding the switch from solid to hydrualic, when my Dad had a '59 1-ton
235 rebuilt, the rebuilder put in a Corvette camshaft with hydraulic lifters.
 He didn't mention any extra machining.

  You really want to use the insert bearing block for cost, last time I
priced Babbit bearings was $70.00 for the mains, and $40.00 for the rods,
that was in Modesto at Reddick Brothers for my '31 Dodge.

  You're in Northern Ca.?  I can probably find a 235 for you.

  Mike