Re: [oletrucks] rear end swap

To: RobXR250@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear end swap
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:28:24 EDT
In a message dated 07/07/1999 6:34:49 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
RobXR250@AOL.COM writes:

<< I am looking for a rear end that would go in my 50 3100 relitivly easily.
Can
 you guys give me some advice on swapping the rear end >>

I have the entire drivetrain from an '84 Pontiac Parisienne in my '48. The
stock wheels rubbed on the inside, so I ordered Pete Paulsen wheels with a
custom offset. I got 15x8's, but you'd have a lot more clearance with x6 or
x7. The stock wheels will work long enough for you to locate some wheels, so
here's how it goes in.
I recommend the rear end installation kit from Butch's Rod Shop. It provides
for centering the wheels in the wheelwells, which many oletruckers seem to
neglect. My wheels are perfectly centered, and the 255/70R15s look great.
This rear will work as well as one from a Camaro/Firebird or Nova once you've
cut off the unnecessary coil spring brackets (for the control arms). I left
the coil pockets and upper control arm brackets in place, since they're not
in the way.
With that 216, you won't want TOO high a ratio, so maybe you should check out
S-10/S-15 rearends that are from 4-cylinder trucks. That way the gearing may
better match your motor.

Mike Jensen
'48 Chevrolet 3100