Re: [oletrucks] What About Stainless Brake Cylinders

To: <Hudson29@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What About Stainless Brake Cylinders
From: "Rob J." <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:02:56 -0700
If you are going to go with Silicon, why bother resleeving (pretty pricey
with no real benefit).  The silicon will prevent rust from forming as it is
hydrophobic (water hating) versus DOT3 brake fluid which is hydrophilic
(water loving).  It is the water that causes the problems.  If staying DOT3,
then the resleeving has merit, but then so does annual brake bleeding which
should keep the system in good shape for years and years.  IMHO, resleeving
is for those who don't plan to keep up with maintenance and it doesn't sound
as if you are one of those, so I'd save my money, buy a good bleeder wrench
and a quart of DOT3.  One hour a year is not too much

Also be aware, that even using Silicon fluid, does NOT prevent rust.  Might
even make it worse as you have a false sense of security.  Water can still
get into the system, and may "pool" somewhere causing rust in a small
focused area, but rust nonetheless.  At least with DOT3, the water is evenly
dispersed in the fluid, and with each annual flush, is washed away.

Rob