[oletrucks] Re: gas gauge

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: gas gauge
From: "Allen L. Jones" <ALJ@hartcrowser.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 07:18:43 -0700
On my recent endeavor with gas gauges, the ohm meter check of a new sending
unit (from Chevy Duty) didn't read the values in this tread.  I had the same
results as Smokey (and I don't know why, but the sending unit and gauge were
good).  Furthermore, checking the coils in the gauge itself read continuity
across the posts.  However, what I didn't realize is that the gauge needs to be
grounded, i.e. the gauge is internally grounded through the case (look at the
back of the gauge and you'll see a center strip that touches the case and
completes the grounding circuit for the gauge - so if you painted the inside of
the case, take a little fine sand paper and sand off the paint to get a good
ground).

>>> "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com> 07/08/99 10:42PM >>>

Buy a 25 (30 if you can get it) ohm potentiometer from Radio Shack and hook
it up in place of the sending unit. The gauge should read from empty to
almost full. This verifies the gauge. The sending unit should read from 0 to
30 ohms, if not, it's broke. I'm surprised that you would get two bad
sending units in a row, or even one for that matter, but that 's what it
sounds like. When testing the sender with the ohm meter, make sure it is set
to Rx1, and not Rx10000 or something. The needle won't move a perceptible
amount on the higher setting.