Re: [oletrucks] Helpers

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Helpers
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:48:49 +0000
SHAWN & JO wrote:

> Hey Fellas,
>         I'm 29 now but since age 5 my Dad has been building a 1934 3 window
> F*rd coupe. He's been done for a few years now but when I was a kid, I
> also was forced to help on the street rod project...
>         I hated it and would avoid helping at all costs but I still got
> wrangled a lot as a teenager. I would basically run every time I saw him
> going into the garage.
>         That said, I wish I would have paid more attention to what was going
> on. Now that I realize what valuable knowledge I have missed along with
> the time I could have spent with my Dad I realize the error of my ways.
> I'm still amazed at what I was able to retain even though I was forced
> to help.
>         This isn't some sappy letter, but a noteof enouragement to all you
> fathers out there trying to get your sons involved..
>         I would rather drive an old vehicle any day over a new one. I
> devolepeda fine appreciation for vintage autos of any kind and for the
> people who build them. I have had two old vehicles before my current
> project of the 51 panel but none were basket cases as this one is.
> There are days where I wonder what kind of disease my father has given
> me until I see another antique rolling down the road...
>         Keep up the tradition, get another generationinvolved so we can save
> more of our heritage.
>
> Shawn
> 51 1 ton panel truck
> Claude Ramey wrote:
> >
> > I didn't say he was interested or happy about it, but he puts up with me
> > (has to). He probably learns a little when I force him to do stuff with me.

Good post Shawn.  It kind of hit home.  Here is some unasked for
(hopefully not useless) advice from a single guy, (no kids) to all you
guys out there with kids.

My Dad is a good machanic.  Learned from the USMC during the Korean war.
I was interested in working on stuff, but when the chance came up, we
either needed to get it running in a hurry, or Dad was busy and couldnt
help me with my personal projects, or I was too busy and couldnt be
bothered to help. (we all know how the world revolves around a kid, at
least in his own mind) So I was either parts washer, wanting to get down
there where the action was, or standing by myself in the garage
wondering where to start, or out fooling around when I could have been
learning something.

My point is, it dont hurt to MAKE your kids help.  But if you do, dont
always just give them the grunt work, though they need to learn that
too.  Involve them in what is going on.  Let um that it apart, instead
of handing you wrenches, show them how to do the bleeding end and YOU
pump the brake once in awhile.

I know it is almost always easier to do things yourself and not to have
to put up with the attitude that comes with someone being someplace they
would rather not be, or spend the extra time when you want to get it
going and the kid cant even come back with the right wrench, but you
know, I will always remember laying under the ol mans pickup, (mine too)
replacing the clutch with my Dad, but I couldnt tell you anything I was
doing when I was "too busy" to help.  Now I wish I would have stayed
home and learned something.

Include your daughters too!  If more people did, maybe women wouldnt be
hosed so bad when they take their car in to get worked on.

Good Luck!!

Gene Davis
'58 GMC
Napco