[oletrucks] Fram Questions Again

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Fram Questions Again
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:59:34 EDT
        Thanks to help here on the oletrucks list, I now know which port to
tap for pressure and return on my '59 235. As to the color question, I took
the canister down to the local True Value hardware store and matched the
original color with the cap on the spray bombs. I got the one with the
closest match and went back to the shop and shot a test patch on white
cardboard. The test patch showed a very close color balance, close to a
modern Fram orange, and just a shade or two brighter than the vintage sample.
        I am going to call this close enough as I would be surprised if the
original paint didn't darken over the years with heat and oil vapor. The
paint is XO Rust Interior/Exterior Enamel, XO-27 Orange, and the cost was
just about $4.50 plus extortion. I long ago found that the ordinary hardware
store brand spray bombs work just as well as "engine" enamel.
        I still have a few questions that nobody ventured an answer to.

        1. The pressure hose runs from the rear of the block where the oil
pressure gauge is tapped to the "inlet" port on the south side of the Fram
canister. The other port in the block (now plugged by the partially rounded
off bung) is the return from the canister to the engine. Where does the
"return" line connect to the canister? The only other possible connection I
can find is the drain plug on the bottom - surely not there?

        2. Should the filter unit be mounted ahead or behind the carbie?

        3. Any ideas about the best way to winkle the bung out of the block?
I hate to use an easy out!

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/hudson29/myhomepage/index.html