[oletrucks] Timing Chain Cover and Water Pump

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Timing Chain Cover and Water Pump
From: jvanho01@tir.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:47:30 -0400
I am in the process of rebuilding the 336 V8 engine in my '58 GMC and today
I removed the water pump from the timing chain cover.  The timing chain
cover consists of 2 water chamber areas.  The front one has an inlet and
outlet and the rear one has one radiator hose connection and a couple of
small holes that go to the block.  There is a hole about 2 1/2 inches in
diameter between the front and rear chambers.  This hole is directly behind
the water pump and is not machined, it has rough edges.  My question is,
does the hole belong there or is it a result of severe corrosion.  Any and
all help will be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

Jim V. - '58 GMC Suburban Carrier Pickup V8 Automatic