[oletrucks] 235 Mechanical Questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 Mechanical Questions
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:58:47 EDT
        This weekend I got a little time to clean and do a some work on a '59
235 that is to go into my '51 3600 someday. The motor was supposed to be a
good running unit, and maybe internally, it will prove to be in sound shape,
but the items I can see on the outside, however, do not inspire confidence!
        In view of some of the "teenage" type work in the areas so far
visible, it seems like a good idea to roll the motor over on it's stand and
open up the bottom end for inspection. A little time with the factory shop
manual brought up as many questions as it answered. Here are a few of them:

        1. What holds the crank pulley on? I found a hole in the nose of the
crank, but not          the expected big capscrew. Do you need the special GM
tool to remove it?

        2. What holds the "Road Draft Tube" in place? I could find no fixings
of any  variety.

        3. The book claims that a special tool is required to centralize the
timing cover    hole around the crankshaft. Is there a workaround for those
of us lacking that      tool?

        4. Can the bearing caps be removed for plastigageing without
disturbing anything     else? The manual warns somewhat cryptically that
something from the front        mounting plate is attached to the front
bearing cap and must be tightened first!

        5. Can the main and rod nuts be reused, or should they be replaced?

        6. I understand that if my motor has the wick type of rear main seal
the crank       must be removed to remove the old upper seal. Should the seal
prove to be of the      more modern lipped design, can I sneak the upper
portion out V-8 fashion with a  brass punch?

        7. One of the 216 timing gears was fiber. Is this also the same with
the 235, and    if so will any weakness or damage be obvious?

        8. Can I drive the front main seal into the timing cover with a
socket or should I      begin the search for a proper seal installer?

        9. There is some evidence of exhaust leakage between the head and the
exhaust         manifold. Are the stock gaskets the best ones to use?

        10. Does anybody have any bottom end tips or mods worth doing for
somebody        unfamiliar with the old Chevy sixes?

        It would sure be nice to get this old six singin' it's song, but this
is a hobby vehicle and there is just no reason to hurry the job along. With
any luck a solid bottom end will be found and the motor can be reassembled in
a straightforward manner.

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/hudson29/myhomepage/index.html