[oletrucks] Temp Gage Physics

To: "'oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Temp Gage Physics
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:45:26 -0700
I pulled the instrument 'V' cluster from my dash to repair a loosened temp
gage.  The brass rivet that holds the gage frame to the modular assembly
had apparently broken off allowing the gage to sink below the viewing
window.
When I disassembled the module, the gage was completely detached (windings
had come loose from the solder joints).  I took the liberty of re-riveting
the frame back onto the module backing plate and re-soldering the tiny
wires back onto the terminals.  I took great care to ensure that there were
no shorts.

After reassembling the cluster, the temp gage automatically slumbers over
to the cold side (as expected).  When I plug the signal wires in (engine
cold), the gage pegs the other way towards hot.  I am pretty sure that the
tiny deflection coils are wired right.  Looking from the back side; red
coil is on left and green coil is on right.

My question is as follows:

1.) Can someone verify the correct deflection coil wiring?  I hate to burn
out the little sucker!

2.) How does the temp. sensing circuit work?  Is there a biased electrical
current that changes along with the increase in temp?

These gages are soooo simple looking that I have become unsure about their
physical nature.

Tom B. '57 Stepside 3200