Re: [oletrucks] 216 engine performance questions - babbiting process ?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 216 engine performance questions - babbiting process ?
From: "Rob J." <rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:27:14 -0700
Can someone briefly explain what exactly the babbitting process involves?  I
suspect I am not the only one who is a bit confused by the whole concept.  I
know that babbit is a specific type of metal, and that it is poured, but
where I get confused, is in what happens after the pouring, or I guess, how
it is actually poured.  I have trouble picturing how a rod and cap can be
poured, but still be separated to allow these to go around the crank
journal.  Do they join the rod and cap, pour molten metal in the opening,
then drill it?  If so, then how do they separate the two parts?  Or do they
pour the metal in the individual halves, then machine the excess then join
the two halves and then drill the opening?  These are the only ways I can
think of, but realize that I could be way off.

Also, you mention shimming and unshimming.  I assume, you mean that you
start with a lot of shims (or large(r) shim) and you substract shims (or
reduce their size) in order to reduce the clearance between rod and cap to
reduce the diameter of the opening to allow of wear?  Am I even close?

I have heard that insert bearings are available for the 216, but if this is
the case, if I'm reading you correctly, before you can use these, a machine
shop has to modify the rods?

Anyway, I have wondered about this for some time, but figured now is as good
a time as any to show my ignorance.

Thanks,

Rob