Re: [oletrucks] vacuum on 235

To: samuelquincy@hotmail.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] vacuum on 235
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:09:01 EDT
In a message dated 7/27/99 4:01:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
samuelquincy@hotmail.com writes:

<< Greetings all!  I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust the vacuum
advance
 mechanism so that it requires less vacuum to pull it.  This question is for
 my 59 Apache 1/2 ton with a 235cui.  If I juice up the accelerator a little
 shifting into 3rd then she runs pretty smoothly (more vacuum comfing off the
 carb), but if I simply shift as normal I get a little shake/vibration until
 I hit about 40mph.  Anybody have any hints?

 Also, I am thinking about shimming *up* my springs a couple of inches.  I'm
 a little weak in this area too.  Will shimming up do any damage?  It doesn't
 seem so to me, but then the only thing I've ever done with a leaf spring is
 lubricate it, so better ask and sound stupid than break a spring and *look*
 stupid!

 Thanks!
 Sam >>

  I don't think your problem lies in the vacuum advance if it's operating
correctly, but there should be suppliers of different weight/spring combo's
to run.  Check into the places that deal with hotrodding the I-6.
  I'd look into the accelerator pump operation, may just be time for a carb
kit.

 As far as shimming up the leafs, the only drawback is the change in
driveline angle, although an inch should not have adverse effects on it, I've
run with 1 inch spacers for years in my '57, never heard the ujoints rattle.

  Mike