Re: [oletrucks] compression and leak down

To: cupola2@worldnet.att.net, oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] compression and leak down
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:47:35 EDT
In a message dated 7/30/99 7:37:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cupola2@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Dear Group,
 Took my '54 3100 in for a compression and leak
 down test today, but I'm unsure what it all
 means.  Here are the fugures they gave me.
    Comprssion/PSI     Leak Down %   Hot  8K
 #1   130               40% rings
 #2   125               50% rings
 #3   105               50% valves
 #4   85                70% equally
 #5   120               15% valves
 #6   125               20% equally
  Of course, they would have liked to have kept my
 truck.  There is no smoke coming from the tailpipe
 and I'm no using any oil that I can tell.
 Sometimes, when I start her, I get a funky, sweet
 smell that goes away after a few minutes.  Other
 than that, I like driving my old truck.
 What do all these figures mean?

 John 54 3100  235 six >>

  I've never taken a motor to a shop for s leak down test, but I have done
compressioon test's at home before.

  The #4 cylinder looks like a poor exhaust valve seat (poorer than the rest)
and if you're runnning a stock can, I'd also say that all the valve are not
seating well.  Last time I looked at my Motors Manual, I *think* I recall
140psi as low end of the compression, but i could be wrong, but you may
benefit from a valve job.

  The sweet smell you get on startup could be antifreeze from a partially bad
head gasket seal between #3 and #4 (two low adjacent cylinders usually
indicates head gasket).

  Just my thoughts.

  Mike