[oletrucks] Re: Charles Culver - What oil pressure

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Charles Culver - What oil pressure
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:14:28 -0400
According to my manuals the engine should run at a constant 14.7 Psi when
warmed up and at above idle.  The pressure will drop somewhat at idle but 12
Psi seems to be acceptable.  The oil filter used in my 52 Chev 1300 with the
216 is an AC 204 and it works fine for me.  I also run straight 30 W oil
which works well.  You will find when the engine is first started, cold,
that the oil pressure may pin to 30 Psi however as the engine warms it
should fairly quickly start to come down to the 15 Psi mark.  There is a
pressure regulating valve on the side of the block below the intake manifold
that if stuck may have a negative effect on your oil pressure.  Also some of
the filters that you may pick up will not work properly on your unit and may
have a negative effect on the oil pressure.  Lastly I have read in several
manuals and publications that the pressure gauges in these vehicle are not
to be taken as gospel.  They will indicate that you have oil pressure in the
engine but are not necessarily accurate.  Check your pressure with a
calibrated gauge from time to time if you are worried about running at
precisely the 14.7 Psi the book says.  The other thing that may be
considered is that there may be a pressure relief valve in the oil pump that
is not funcitioning properly and this could be giving you the higher than
normal readings.  However I would suggest getting the proper filter, putting
it in properly, starting the truck and letting it warm up for 5 to 10
minutes then running up the engine while monitoring the pressure gauge.  You
will probably find that the pressure is were it should be.

Good Luck and keep us posted

Mac