Re: [oletrucks] Double Action Shocks

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Double Action Shocks
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 20:51:32 -0700
Hi Dave,

>for those who know about them.  I gather that the single action shocks were
>standard equipment on AD trucks, but that the double-acting ones were
>optional.  Am I right?
Per my restoration packet RPO 200 was for the double acting shocks and it
was available in front on all models, and on the rear on several models.

> Were the double action shocks considered an
>improvement over the single action type?  Should my new shocks bolt up just
>like the originals?  (Looks like the spacing for the mounting bolts on the
>new ones is a little wider, but maybe that's why there's an extra hole in
>the frame.)
I have no experience with the double acting vs sgl, however I suspect you're
correct about the extra hole in the frame. The RPO200 option adds 8 lbs to
the truck, but I'm not sure if that's per side or overall???

> When I pull on the lever of my existing rear shocks, the
>mounting on the leaf springs to which the arm is attached is loose and
>swivels a bit.  Should they do that or should the U-bolt connection at the
>springs be tight and rigid?
The approx 3/8" steel strap with the 3 holes in it should be tight up against
the spring. The  bushed eyelet should be secure in the offset 3rd hole also.
This connects to the intermediate bar from the arm of the shock.

I don't know if you're planning on rebuilding these shocks or just using
them to keep the truck authentic, but after 50 years they're most likely
tired. Last Friday I replaced the two front lever type on our  49 3100 with
a Napa #94051. I don't recall what that shock # was designated for in
their parts book, but we looked up the spec's for a 50-53 (which he didn't
have) and crossed it to a similar length, travel and mounting type which
was the previously mentioned #. I bought these several months ago with
the idea of obtaining the mount brackets from a 50+ truck in the local
bone yard. The price quoted at the bone yard indicated they quite possibly
were gold plated or at least made of some exotic metal! I passed.

I finally made some brackets Friday from 2"X1/4" flat stock, 1 1/4"X1 1/4"X.120"
sq tubing, and some 7/8" OD tubing. I removed the old shocks, hardest part
of the job, and mounted the new tube shocks in the same lower mount hole.
The upper part is secured with  a 5/8" X 4 1/2" bolt, and shock sits nearly
straight up, angled just slightly forward. I had to put a shock tower extender
on the drivers side due to clearance between the tube of the shock and the
drag link. I have a 283 installed and the steering is moved out slightly to
clear
the motor/exhaust. I did both sides the same, but there is no clearance
problem on the pass side.

I've had 215 75 R15 tires all around on it for a couple years, but the new
shocks
really make a big difference. I only wish I would have done this a couple years
ago. Next I'll probably do the rear however, I don't suspect it will make as
much
a difference as the front.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net

robert.fischer@cdc.com

rfischer@worldnet.att.net