[oletrucks] Double Action Shocks

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Double Action Shocks
From: "David Raphael" <draphael@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:44:03 -0700
    Speaking of Ebay, I followed up on one of those Ebay auction leads
someone posted to the list awhile back, and I'm now the owner of a pair of
double-action, lever-type shocks for my '49 Chevy 1/2 ton.  I've never
worked on these types of shocks before, so I've got a couple of questions
for those who know about them.  I gather that the single action shocks were
standard equipment on AD trucks, but that the double-acting ones were
optional.  Am I right?  Were the double action shocks considered an
improvement over the single action type?  Should my new shocks bolt up just
like the originals?  (Looks like the spacing for the mounting bolts on the
new ones is a little wider, but maybe that's why there's an extra hole in
the frame.)  When I pull on the lever of my existing rear shocks, the
mounting on the leaf springs to which the arm is attached is loose and
swivels a bit.  Should they do that or should the U-bolt connection at the
springs be tight and rigid?  I would appreciate any help anyone's got.
Thanks.

Dave  '49  3100  235  3window
Portland, Oregon
draphael@teleport.com