Re: [oletrucks] Huge truck graveyard found and engine buying Q's

To: <CLLLSLS@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Huge truck graveyard found and engine buying Q's
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:54:40 -0400
> 1) He wants $125 for the shortblock is this reasonable?

Reasonable, but he's not doing you any favors. With any used engine you are
basically buying a core, unless you personally know it to be a runner.

> 2)will the head off my 53 228 or a 50 248 head that I have fit this
engine?

Yes, some 270s had large port heads, but the 228/248/270 head was
interchangeable on all but 302's

> 3)will this engine fit my truck (53 GMC 1/2 ton) without modification to
my
> truck?

If it's a military block it probably has a big double 5/8 groove damper
pulley. That will interfere  with the radiator, fan, and your "sandwich"
motor mount.

> 4)what should I look out for when inspecting this engine?

Does it turn freely? Any rust in the bores? Ridges in the cylinders? If so
plan on a total rebuild -  and GMC internal parts are costly. Check to see
if the block is machined for a fuel pump - many military models were
designed for electric pumps only.    These things came with 24V electrical
systems, monster starters, air compressors etc. But all of the 228/248
externals will fit.