Re: [oletrucks] Huge truck graveyard found and engine buying Q's

To: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Huge truck graveyard found and engine buying Q's
From: Gene Davis <genedavis@tritel.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 08:58:34 -0600
CLLLSLS@aol.com wrote:

> I've come across a guy that's got about 10 acres of old GMC's and a few old
> chevrolet trucks. Very few people know about this place because the owner
> doesn't have any need for money and really doesn't care what happens to all
> the trucks. He says he will just sit on the whole mess of trucks until he
> needs some money. The only reason I got in the place is because I'm a good
> friend of one of his good friends.
>
>  The trucks are mostly heavy trucks, but there are still a ton of half tons.
> He has some of the wierdest trucks I've ever seen, like ten ton 4X4's, Huge
> tandem axle trucks, really really old stuff, and most of the half tons all
> have some sort of unique factory option like spot lights, window washers and
> Hydrovacs. Most of the trucks are Art Deco and Advance Design, but there's
> also a good amount of task force trucks. He has the largest number of panels,
> suburbans, and sedan deliveries I've ever seen in one place! He also has a
> bunch of jeeps and some old willy's and hudson pickups. The only thing he
> said he didn't have was NAPCO 4X4 trucks. He even had a 53 GMC 1/2 ton
> Hydra-matic pickup like mine!
>
> Most every old truck in the place has had it's engine pulled and sold or
> stored in a huge barn(which I wasn't allowed to see inside of!), except for a
> ten foot high mound of Chevrolet 216's next to the entrance. He told me that
> he would sell me any part that wasn't attached or any part off of one of the
> many stacked and totalled trucks. I went through the mental list of parts
> that I could think of that I could use on my truck.
>
> The only part he thinks he has that he would be willing to sell is a 1942 GMC
> military 270 short block that he says is complete except for head and
> intake/exhaust manifolds and has original bore. I would like to replace my
> 228 with this 270 because:
>
> a) It's bigger.
>
> b) my 228's block is cracked.
>
> c) it's bigger
>
> I was raised on V8's and have very limited experience with 6 cylinders. In
> fact, the first and only 6 cylinder I've ever owned is the one in my truck.
> Some of the questions I need answered are:
>
> 1) He wants $125 for the shortblock is this reasonable?
>
> 2)will the head off my 53 228 or a 50 248 head that I have fit this engine?
>
> 3)will this engine fit my truck (53 GMC 1/2 ton) without modification to my
> truck?
>
> 4)what should I look out for when inspecting this engine?
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Dustin
> 53 GMC 1/2-long 5-window W/Hydra-matic
> clllsls@aol.com
>
> P.S. I will try to get a good Idea of the stuff he is currently willing to
> sell that relates to this mailing list and post it here when I go back to
> look at the engine.

Dustin, I have a 270 in my '58 GMC 100 NAPCO.  If you get that engine,
you will find some parts hard to come by using normal routes, i.e.,
Piston rods, pistons, some others.  Some parts are the same as 235 248,
etc.  A good source for the parts you cant find easily is Langtons
Stovebolt Engine,  They are on the web, dont have a url handy.  GD