[oletrucks] How Many Horses For My Course?

To: safesix@worldnet.att.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] How Many Horses For My Course?
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:46:15 EDT
    Jack Halton correctly observed:

    "From this and your previous issues on bearings etc, it sounds as if you
are at a real decision point. If you decide to stay with the 235, you are
into it so far now that rebuilding is the only way to go."

    Yup, that's just about where were at now. It is certainly senseless to
proceed with this project until the course has become clearer. Jack further
pointed out that the top end condition is still a mystery. He is right again.
The head was supposed to have been done recently with hardened valve seats,
but the piston and rings condition is unknown. The previous owner has
confirmed that the motor ran sweetly and used very little oil.

    On my goals Jack observes:

    "Even devoted Inliner that I am, I would think that you would be better
off with a V8 if these are your priorities. The 3600 is a pretty hefty lump
to pull around for starters, and with the added weight  (at least 1500 lbs?)
of a loaded trailer, you would be asking a lot of even a healthy 235."

    Here we have misunderstanding, possibly due to the picture on the website
showing a camper mounted on the truck. That big heavy camper has been removed
and donated to a pal of mine. I intend to haul the motorcycles inside the
bed. The probable loads with a single motorcycle are:

3695 lbs    Curb Weight, from the Chevy Truck Salesman's Data Book
117 lbs 18 gals gas @ 6.5 lbs per gal
500 lbs Norton Commando
500 lbs 2X size driver and misc. items such as beverage cooler, jacket &
helmet
______
4812 lbs    This is the probably road weight the motor has to propel up the
grade

    We are still 1000 under the GVW of 5800. That is a lot of burden for a
140 hp six, but I do intend to install the T-5 trannie which will allow the
motor to be kept on the boil by swapping cogs. Several of our listees have
similar setups running now. What say you from actual experience?

    Jack further brings up the subject of stop & steer:

    "You don't mention any accompanying upgrades to chassis, brakes, gearing
etc, but whether you decide on a 6 or V8, the kind of use you are describing
is not really too practical without some serious thought to improving the
basic truck suspension and safety."

    This is certainly a subject that has seen far too little attention. A
truck that doesn't answer the helm or stop when needed is no good in modern
traffic. Quite frankly, I don't know what to expect. My twenties Hudsons are
a real handful to get stopped at fwy speeds. Another old car, a '39 Caddie is
as good as anything I have driven from the sixties that still had drum brakes.
    I think that the factory suspension and steering design is probably OK
and good radial truck tires should make a big improvement to both steer and
stop. I just don't know what to expect with the "Huck" brakes. I have a big
heavy boot so pedal pressure should not be a problem, but a nice disk upgrade
would have to be the A solution. We had a listee in FL working on such an
upgrade last year. Are you still out there? How did it work out?
    Another long cherished goal is retain the stock appearance as much as
possible. I do not want to go with a modern look except where absolutely
required. All this stuff is just swimming in my head right now, I guess I
need a couple of cocktails and some time to think about it all.

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/hudson29/myhomepage/index.html