RE: [oletrucks] Problem with pedals..

To: "'RickK10071@aol.com'" <RickK10071@aol.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Problem with pedals..
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:00:18 -0500
I had my brake pedal off last weekend.

        1.      Before loosening any attaching hardware for the
                master cyl/pivot arm...

        2.      Using a long 1/2" extension and ratchet get under the
                truck and loosen the 3/4" self locking nut that holds
                the curved pedal arm to the pivot arm 3 to 4 turns.
                Make sure that the nut is backed off just enough to
                cover the threads on the end of the pedal arm.

        3.      Press the pedal down and slide a wooden block
                between the pivot arm and the floorboard above
                it.  The block needs to be large enough to keep
                the pedal slightly depressed.  It will be used as
                a "stop" in step 4.

        4.      Remove the socket and ratchet handle from the extension
                used in step 2 and place the female end of the
                extension on the nut.  The male end ends up going
                right past the starter drive on my 57 GMC.  A few
                firm taps (beat on it good) broke the splined
                connection loose.  Now remove the nut and pull the
                pedal from the pivot.

By the way, have a helper press lightly on the brake pedal when you
are re-assembling this connection.  I did not (the first time) and
when I crawled out from under to admire my handy work, I found that
the pedal had jumped a tooth before I got it tight and was leaning to
the right.  Had to get back under and do the whole job again.