Re: [oletrucks] Abrasive suggestions for blaster

To: kvdurand@mail.esc4.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Abrasive suggestions for blaster
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:55:28 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/99 4:45:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kvdurand@mail.esc4.com writes:

<<
 >Hi guys, a quick question:
 >  I've got a pressurized sandblaster from Harbor Freight, and a compressor
 >which seems to be up to the task of driving it.  But, I'm wondering if you
 >all have any suggestions as to what I ought to blast with.
 >  Up until now, the best thing I've found is a brand of "play-sand",
 >available at a local hardware store.  I've found that the brand does
 matter-
 >the "play-sand" at the local Home Depot wasn't nearly uniform enough,
 >causing all sorts of clogging problems.
 >  Even the best stuff I found still causes me lots of woes.  Either the tip
 >or the outlet valve (out of the tank) clogs very regularly.  I'm lucky to
 >get more that ~15s of blasting in before having to go unclog something.
 >There has to be a better way.
 >  What do you guys use, and where do you get it?
 >
 >Thanks-
 >Ryan.
 >
 >Oh yeah: my applicaions range from stripping multi-layers of paint from
 body
 >panels to cleaning rust off of heavy metal.

  You're problem may be two-fold.... the sand may not be dried, try a lumber
yard for blasting sand, I pay 5 or 6 bucks for a 100lb bag, either 30 or 40
mesh.

  The other problem may be too much moisture in the air, you should have a
water seperator a minimum of 30 feet from the tank, the farther the better.

  There are also other more expensive options (think they're called
collescating filters?) but they get kinda pricy.

  Mike