RE: [oletrucks] 2 Barrel Holley-Weber? (LONG)

To: <Hudson29@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 2 Barrel Holley-Weber? (LONG)
From: "Michael Snow" <mwsnow@home.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:57:02 -0700
I have thought quite a bit about putting one of these carbs on my
235.  If I am not mistaken, the Holley is made under license from
Weber.  I have seen it on a Pinto, but I know GM used them too.
I believe that the Holley version does not have all the same
features as the Weber it is based on, which is a DGV.
Personally, I would avoid the Holley.  I have had two different
DGV carbs now.  One on a Jeep 258 inline six, and another on a
Toyota Landcruiser I-6.  Performance advantages over a one barrel
carb are real and substantial.

The Jeep had no emissions equipment and a Carter YF 1 barrel and
consistently got 13-15 MPG on the highway.  Off road, mileage is
not much of a factor, but the carb needed a lot of finesse at low
speeds.  After fitting a stock 2 barrel manifold, adapter plate,
and Weber DGV, mileage instantly jumped to 18-19 MPG (and over 20
on one memorable trip).  Throttle response improved greatly, and
the throttle was much less sensitive at low speeds.  A win-win
situation if there ever was one.

The Toyota, sadly, was sold soon after the carb conversion to a
friend who only uses it off road.  I have no idea what kind of
mileage he gets, but he loves the performance.

For those unfamiliar with Weber carbs, the DGV is a progressive 2
bbl carb.  The primary throttle is 32mm.  When the primary is
open about halfway, the 36mm secondary begins to open until they
are both fully open at full throttle.  The DGV (like most Webers)
is adjustable in just about every parameter imaginable.  They are
great carbs!  The only downside to this conversion is that
wrecking yards figured out long ago that used carbs are worth far
more than the $25 that I paid for my first one.  The Toyota cost
about $450 to convert using all new parts.

There is a company in Los Angeles called Advanced Engine
Management that is a direct Weber importer.  Most of the Weber
advertisers are not.  AEM actually does the development work for
most of the Weber refit kits that are sold in the US.  If anyone
is interested, I can look up the contact info in my pile of
reference material.  In my experience, they are a pleasure to
deal with.  I could go on for hours.  :-)

Holley also makes a 350 and 500 CFM progressive 2 bbl, model
2305.  I have one on my garage shelf.

Mike Snow
1953 3100