Re: [oletrucks] Vacuum Wiper Motor

To: "Brad Rusnak" <b_rusnak@telusplanet.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Vacuum Wiper Motor
From: Ken Deffenbach <kdfnbc@gate.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 11:31:00 -0400
>My wiper motor operates very slowly upwards and stays there until I turn
>them off again. I can then hear the suction release. They will sometimes
>move slowly down when the engine is revving higher.
>Do you guys think the wiper motor is repairable?

Brad, I just completed a rebuild of my wiper motor. I had the same symptoms
you are experiencing. You can either send it to Ficken for a rebuild or do
it yourself as I did. I have used both methods and am happy with the
results of both. Of course, the DIY method is cheaper.

Take the motor apart, removing both the top cover and side cover. Take note
of how the parts inside the side cover are positioned. Remove and discard
the intake filter. I made a new one from a filter element for a respirator
mask. Clean all parts and passages. The old grease will be like lumps of
coal if there is still any left. I used synthetic grease to re-lube the
paddle rubber and inside the cavity. Blue RTV sealant is a good substitute
for the cover to body gasket. Put it all back together and test it before
you reinstall. The only point to watch is that the paddle rubber cannot be
torn up or cracked. If it is, get another paddle or another wiper motor and
try again.

Ken