[oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods

To: "Ole Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Advance Design front end mods
From: "Mark Self" <markself@discover.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:08:35 -0700
     I'm rebuilding a '55 1st series Chevy truck.  I wanted to lower the
front end, add disk brakes and better steering.  I considered a dropped
axle, but you still have the old suspension, steering and drums.  I thought
about a clip from a Camaro, Firebird, Chevy II etc.  But, I'm not equipped
or have the money or the knowledge to perform this type of work.  I had
finally decided to go with the Heidts Hot Rod shops crosmember with the
Mustang II suspension.  I'm not happy with the torque rods.  The suspension
components seem a little lightwight.  But, I figured this was a method that
I could handle, with a little help from my friends.
     Last week while lurking on this list I saw this address:

          The Poor Man's Advance Design Tech Tip Page
             http://www.home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/

     When I went there and checked out his tip section.  This is what I saw.

Good IFS subframe donor vehicles:
 '73 thru '87 Chevy/GMC fullsize 1/2 ton 2wd truck (thru '89 Chevy/GMC
Suburban 1/2 ton 2wd) complete front suspension and steering. The later
truck suspension/steering just unbolts. The difference between the older and
the later frames is the advanced design frame is .5 (1/2) inch narrower on
each side than the front suspension saddle and needs to be shimmed by a
spacer (the same for the steering). The swap gets you modern steering
(power), brakes (power), a-arm suspension, and disc brakes. It also lowers
the truck by 4 inches with leaving the stock set-up or more with dropped
spindles. Per J.P. who has done this installation on an 1951 GMC 1/2 ton
with an 1977 Chevy 1/2 ton front end. Thanks J.P.

     I went to the wrecking yard, but, when I measured the frame, it
appeared that this truck has a frame that is 29 1/2" wide while my '55 1st
appears to be 25".  I hope I can use this front end.
     My question, are any of you J.P.?  Do any of know how to contact him?
Have any of you done this swap, or know of anyone who has done this swap.?
If this works it has got to be one of the sweetest setupos I've ever seen.

Mark Self
'55 1st 5-window