Re: [oletrucks] classic license plates

To: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] classic license plates
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 00:34:23 -0500
Charles & other Texan's,

Don't start over; if registered as an antique (which, I believe, is the only
way you can use original year plates), only 1 plate is required.  This is
what DMV told me & that is the way I run it (no hassles yet).  Otherwise,
paired plates are expensive these days (plus, in your case the paper work
changes & related charges).  I was told about making plates once by another
hobbyist (no prison time required).

1. Take 1 good plate.
2. Fit thin soft sheet metal to size of plate (on back side).
3. Use burnishing tool to press thin sheet into low areas (letters &
numbers) on the plate.
4. Fill low areas of new plate with body putty.  Allow to harden.
5. Mount to thicker/rigid sheet metal plate.
6. Paint to match as desired!

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com