Re: [oletrucks] Rearend ID

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rearend ID
From: WR Teto <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 01:38:47 -0400
Paul, set the axle on a pair of jackstands.  Turn one of the brake drums
one complete revolution and count the number of revolutions that the
driveshaft yoke turns.  If it turns, say, 3-1/2 times, you have
approximately 3.50/1 rear end gear ratio.  IMHO, any used rear end
warrants at least pulling the cover for inspection.  I bought a 10 bolt
GM posi and found chipped gear teeth on the pinion.  I got the seller to
drop the price to a ridiculously cheap amount and rebuilt the rear end
with new Richmond gears.

Wally