RE: [oletrucks] Floor repairs

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Floor repairs
From: rwelch@ionet.net
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:14:35 -0500 (CDT)
It depends.  We honored the stock rear side mounts (on the bellhousing) - that,
of course, locks you into where the front engine side mounts go.  Doing it this
way the hump shape must be changed.  After we did all this we changed the stock
trans out eliminating the side mounts using a rear mount. Also, the HEI
distributor would just barely hit the firewall and rattle enough to drive one
crazy - we had to go back and grind some of the firewall off.

If we had it to do over, we would have set the new engine/trans combination in
so everything clears w/o modifications.  But that will set the engine/trans
forward quite a bit.  On the other hand, considering the truck's handling
characteristics after the engine swap, setting the engine back (but with
modifications to the floorboard) can make a big difference in handling.  The
trucks are front heavy to begin with so even an inch or two can improve
matters.  -Bob