Re: [oletrucks] 235 aftermarket intake, exhaust, cam

To: <RobXR250@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 235 aftermarket intake, exhaust, cam
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 23:35:46 -0400
Your 235 is a transplant, a 216 would have been original. First full
pressure 235's were 51 Powerglide car motors; first full pressure truck 235s
were I think in 54. 53 was a weird year with several combinations of
hydraulic and solid lifter, full pressure, and babbit rod engines, further
confused by mid-year changes. Vist the Inliners International web site at
http://www.inliners.org/  to check casting numbers and determine which
engine you have.

A small 4-barrel on a water-heated Clifford intake gives trouble-free
performance on a 235, but without the "vintage" look. Many 2 x 1 barrel
intakes are available at swap meets and use Rochester or Zenith 1 barrel
carbs. Offy intakes  are also available new from Patricks, Night Prowlers,
Stovebolt  ( http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/ ) and other sources.
Holley-Weber staged 2 barrels also work well on these older intakes. The
manifold will will need some source of heat for street driveability and
decent fuel economy.

Fenton cast iron headers have been popular for decades and are a good choice
for a 235. They are reproduced by Patrick's (free catalog via
Patstrks@AOL.Com) and are available from most old truck vendors for about
$250. Night Prowlers has nicely "split" stock manifolds and tube headers for
235's from $135 up.

These upgrades, along with a performance cam and some head work, will
definitely put some beans in a 235, most noticeably in the upper rpm ranges.

Jack / Winter Park FL