Re: [oletrucks] Commercial Rod Input Wanted

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Commercial Rod Input Wanted
From: jrdorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 23:49:25 -0700
Steve,
I don't know about a '40 but most AD 1-1/2 ton and up trucks I've seen
have a 10 lug wheel. Chevy still uses this bolt pattern on their 3500HD
trucks. They are classed as a 1 ton but they have a straight axle front
end. I have seen these chassis under modern mini school busses you may
be able to swap out the axle or whole chassis.

I don't know about changing the original axle over to discs.
Theoretically it is possible, but it would take a lot of work. I changed
my 1 ton over, but I had the bearing specs to make adaptors from, I
can't find any bearing specs on the heavier trucks.

I don't suppose you live in Florida? I would be happy to help as much as
I can with knowledge and info otherwise.

Any large truck shop should be able to tell you where to have your
springs done. Before you put any money into what your old axle check
your king pins, sometimes the axle hole can be worn too far oversize to
be fixed economically.

John
"49-50-54-57-79-95" Chevy 3800 Panel
'52 GMC 640 FMC Firetruck