Re: [oletrucks] Fan speed and less roar

To: RobXR250@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fan speed and less roar
From: John Maertens <mcdac@rconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:42:05 -0500
Hi Rob,
    When I put a 1961 235 engine in my '51 I had to shorten the water pump
shaft and buy a pulley with a narrow slot for the fan belt. The pulley was
about 4" diameter which was like the one that had been on the old 216 engine
but the '61 engine had a larger pulley that I couldn't use since I had
shortened the shaft.  Anyway, I ordered the pulley from Carter's or Chevy
Duty (can't remember) and it worked OK but spun the fan too fast. This
created excessive noise at higher rpm's and forced me to keep the speed down
to 50 mph or so. A discussion on the list ensued and I was enlightened to
the problems created with the smaller pulley.  I then ordered a complete
water pump/pulley assembly from Patrick's (in AZ) and installed it about a
week ago.  I was then able to use the "modern" 1961 fan and only had to bend
out the edges a little so they cleared the lower pulley (harmonic
balancer).  Although the truck is still noisy, I have eliminated the roaring
sound at high speed. I can now cruise at 60 mph without wondering if things
are going to fly apart.
    Note:  This fix is only appropriate if you have a late model 235 engine
in your truck, the original 216 should have the smaller pulley.  Hope this
helps.
John '51 1/2 Ton
Minnesota