Re: [oletrucks] Frame Painting Advice

To: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Frame Painting Advice
From: "Craig" <clund@bestweb.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:06:59 -0600
Jeff:

As long as your painting with the intent to use the vehicle as a daily
driver then i would sit the frame out in the yard, on saw horses and blow
the primer coats on.  What you currently lack in painting skills and
knowledge could be acquired in the painting of your own vehicle.  The down
side is the acquisition of a decent,  (NOT THE BEST) sprayer.  You of course
need to have enough output from your compressor.  The alternative is to use
a HVLP setup which provides its own air.

I am not by any definition a paint aficionado.  But I know to buy good paint
(PPG) and to ask for very specific directions.  I chose this route because i
knew i was not going to show my vehicles.  To my surprise and glee both
paint jobs came out wonderful.  In a separate Email I will send you to Pic's
of vehicles I painted.  The learning curve to blow on your truck ANY paint
will be a two fold reward.  One you will learn how to apply automotive
paint. Two.  You will have a grin on your face all day long.    I derived
great satisfaction and about $3000 in savings from doing it myself.

Now I don't mean to say I want to quit my job and blow paint on cars or
trucks for a living but, I am not afraid to do it myself now.

Best of luck and if you want any advice or encouragement drop me a line or
two  I am more then willing to help another restorer.

Regards

Craig