Re: [oletrucks] paint guns

To: ckish@ameritech.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] paint guns
From: miq@teleport.com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:06:25 -0700 (PDT)
charlie kish says:
> Miq-I had spent fifteen years in body shops in heavy repair though we
> always had a genius that sprayed the color for us, we sent it to him
> ready for primer.  I have sprayed and can paint when I truley have to
> and do a reasonable job of it.  Could you tell me, are your spraying
> techniques much different with the different systems? Also what do you
> think of the turbine system as one to try to eliminate the moisture in
> the air lines that plauge us in this part of the country?  How different
> did that one spray from the old siphon type guns?  Thanks

With a standard gun I tend to spray (pull the trigger all the way) only in
one direction on large sections like doors and hoods.  This gives the paint
enough time to "settle" and the back wash (small amount of air through the
gun, no paint flow) helps "blow" the mist aside.  I'm left with a cleaner
finish.

When I don't care about finish, like with primer, and just want a nice
smooth consisten coat, I spray in both directions.   It's easier to get
into a rythm with this method, and I see a lot of painters do this on the
"fast and dirty" jobs.  If you get the chance, watch a painter doing a show
car piece and he will not spray in more than one direction.  Even for the
parts that are hard to get like wheel opening rims.

With HVLP, the paint "bounces" when I spray in one direction, the paint
hits the metal and drys faster and doesn't cling to itself as well.  This
is my biggest problem with HVLP and my personal technique, I just haven't
gotten the knack on getting the timing right.

--
__
Miq Millman   miq@teleport.com