[oletrucks] rear suspension, educate me

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] rear suspension, educate me
From: "Border, Ryan" <rborder@fcxena.fc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:41:00 -0600
Hi guys-
  I'm considering different rear suspension options for my '55 2nd project,
and figured you all could help me figure a few things out.

What are pro's/con's of:
  "standard" Leafs
  Ladder bars
  4-bars/leaf
  4-bar/coil-overs

I'm most confused about the term ladder bars.  I've seen truss-like
structures that I would have called "traction bars" referred to as ladder
bars.... and then I've seen big (expensive) setups that look like they'd
replace the whole suspension also called ladder bars.  What gives?

Other option would be IRS.  Maybe Jag, vette... anybody tried late model
thunderbird?

Will run tubs, and some big tires- so will need something narrow... setting
up an IRS this way sounds difficult (ie. expensive).

For now I just have slightly warmed over 350/350 setup- but I'd rather do it
once, right; and have something under there which could handle some serious
power and torque (think blown big-block).

Just thinking about options now-
Ryan.