Re: [oletrucks] Arizona Junk Yards

To: "Jeff Clark" <clark@wmis.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Arizona Junk Yards
From: hughes59@jps.net
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:32:44 -0700
Hi Jeff and List-  I visited 5-6 salvage yards around the PHX area about a
year ago.  I was dissapointed to find that those I visited were fairly
picked over with regard to 55-59 chevy trucks (though I did find a decent
58/59 Fleetside tailgate at Desert Valley Auto, and a NAPCO 4x4 shift
pattern plate at a yard in a small town near Casa Grande[forget the name
right now]).  I really couldn't speak to earlier Chevy truck availability,
because my time was limited and my search focused on 55-59.

 There's a yard in Maricopa (south of phx) that has a lot of corvairs (cars,
trucks, vans), and a yard in Casa Grande (also south) that has a lot of
studebakers (few trucks) which I found interesting.  Also, Patricks is in
Casa Grande.  He has a yard full of old chevy trucks, that are not for sale
(to my knowledge) but interesting to see. Also, Grumpies (a 55-59? Chevy
truck vendor), which I didn't have opportunity to visit, is in PHX.

 While I found the desert yards very interesting, I think most of the
extremely popular ol' truck goodies have been extracted from the well known
AZ yards.  This opinion is based on very limited searching in some of the
highest profile places (and one or two lesser known).  Any AZ listers or
others with different experiences in the Phoenix area yards???  Is Tucson
any better??  Would small, lesser known yards be a better bet?

Jeff, good luck with the series and the search, and Regards All,  Keith