Re: [oletrucks] Thermostat ratings/Main crank threads

To: twwood@mail.mia.bellsouth.net, tburt@hirose.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Thermostat ratings/Main crank threads
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:45:18 EDT
In a message dated 10/20/99 12:31:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
twwood@mail.mia.bellsouth.net writes:

> Tom Burt wrote:
>
>  > I'm baaack.  After a couple of months of torture at work, I've decide to
>  > haunt the oletruck pages again.
>  > Good to see the oletruck chat again.
>  >
>  > While off line, I tore the front off my 327 by removing the water pump
>  > (defective - squealed => leaked), replacing front main seal/timing cover,
>  > replaced steel freeze plugs with brass, and replaced outlet, hoses and
>  > fittings.
>  > Two questions:
>  >
>  > 1.)  When removing the lower pulley, I noticed that the 7/16 bolt came
out
>  > with galled threads (I had to sit down in amazement and shock over this
>  > one).  The PO should definitely be shot!  I also noticed that the water
>  > pump and crank pulleys were mismatched (different groove spacing).  What
>  > was this guy thinking?  How did I miss this during the sale? Jeeze!
>  >
>  > Pulling the harmonic balancer (H/B) worked fine with the proper tool.
>  >  Thinking that I could somewhat correct this problem, I whipped open my
>  > rollaway drawer filled with assorted taps.  The tap I had seemed too
>  > lightweight for a hardened crank (good only for aluminum) and I shuddered
>  > at the thought of breaking it off at this stage of the game.  So, I
>  > refrained from the activity because I couldn't position myself to see the
>  > hole straight-on anyway.
>  > I lieu of tapping, I decided to clean up the bolt instead using a good
die.

>  >  The operation was successful, however; I still have reservations about
> the
>  > damaged crank threads and how to correct the problem.
>  > I replaced the H/B with gritted teeth because the tool to press it in was
>  > barely threaded into the crank, so needless to say, I was on pins and
>  > needles the whole time.  Fortuneatly, the 7/16 bolt appears to be snugged
>  > down pretty tight.
>  >
>  > What I fear is that I have remove the main crank to rejuvenate the
threads.

>  >  Is there any alternative?
>  >
>  > 2.) While I was under the hood, I decided to pull/ flush the radiator and
>  > replace the thermostat.  I drove it to work today and noticed the temp
>  > steady at about 190 deg.
>  >
>  > I am correct to assume that a 180 deg thermostat is sufficient to use on
>  > 327 with no A/C?
>  >
>  > Tom B. '57 Stepside 3200
>  >
>  > oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

  Unless this is a high output motor, you'll probably be okay as is, a
majority of early SBC's did not even have the crank snout drilled and tapped
for a bolt anyways (neither does my 235).

  Now if you're making a lot of HP or doing some high winding, then I might
be concerned about it, but if it's a moderate driver, you shuold be okay.

  A 180 stat is fine.

  Mike