[oletrucks] Thermostat ratings/Main crank threads

To: "'oletrucks'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Thermostat ratings/Main crank threads
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:29:43 -0700
I'm baaack.  After a couple of months of torture at work, I've decide to
haunt the oletruck pages again.
Good to see the oletruck chat again.

While off line, I tore the front off my 327 by removing the water pump
(defective - squealed => leaked), replacing front main seal/timing cover,
replaced steel freeze plugs with brass, and replaced outlet, hoses and
fittings.
Two questions:

1.)  When removing the lower pulley, I noticed that the 7/16 bolt came out
with galled threads (I had to sit down in amazement and shock over this
one).  The PO should definitely be shot!  I also noticed that the water
pump and crank pulleys were mismatched (different groove spacing).  What
was this guy thinking?  How did I miss this during the sale? Jeeze!

Pulling the harmonic balancer (H/B) worked fine with the proper tool.
 Thinking that I could somewhat correct this problem, I whipped open my
rollaway drawer filled with assorted taps.  The tap I had seemed too
lightweight for a hardened crank (good only for aluminum) and I shuddered
at the thought of breaking it off at this stage of the game.  So, I
refrained from the activity because I couldn't position myself to see the
hole straight-on anyway.
I lieu of tapping, I decided to clean up the bolt instead using a good die.
 The operation was successful, however; I still have reservations about the
damaged crank threads and how to correct the problem.
I replaced the H/B with gritted teeth because the tool to press it in was
barely threaded into the crank, so needless to say, I was on pins and
needles the whole time.  Fortuneatly, the 7/16 bolt appears to be snugged
down pretty tight.

What I fear is that I have remove the main crank to rejuvenate the threads.
 Is there any alternative?

2.) While I was under the hood, I decided to pull/ flush the radiator and
replace the thermostat.  I drove it to work today and noticed the temp
steady at about 190 deg.

I am correct to assume that a 180 deg thermostat is sufficient to use on a
327 with no A/C?

Tom B. '57 Stepside 3200