Re: [oletrucks] can someone ID this block?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] can someone ID this block?
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:01:21 -0700
Cj,
According to the Mor-Tec listings it's a 64-66.
I have a few listings of suffixes from those years, which determine
what vehicle the engine was originally installed in by Chevy.
Look on the block just ahead of #2 cylinder and get the #'s stamped
there, and I'll check the partial listings I have.
I'm not sure about the early vs late block casting thickness, however I
know as a kid we built 301 cu in motors from 58 -59 283's and never
had problems with the blocks.

>Hi all... I've got a 283 engine- I know it's a '66, but
>that's about all I know.  Weren't there some 283
>blocks that had thicker castings that could be
>bored out to 4"?  I'd be delighted if this was one of
>those....  Can someone check this casting # and
>tell me what I've got?
>Casting # is: 3834810
>
>Thanks greatly to whomever!
>
>CJ Wilson

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net

robert.fischer@cdc.com

rfischer@worldnet.att.net