[oletrucks] Other GMC VIN location

To: safesix@worldnet.att.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Other GMC VIN location
From: CLLLSLS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:42:33 EDT
Jack,

I thought I might try helping you out for a change. I have a 48-51 GMC master
parts book and it says that "Early models had a chassis number stamped on the
right hand frame sidemember above the front spring." The book I have does not
say whether or not this "chassis number" is the same as the VIN plate number,
but in the example picture in my book of the frame stamping, the numbers
stamped in the frame rail are the same GMC serial/model numbers that would
appear on the VIN plate, so I'm assuming that they probably are the same.

-BUT-

This master parts book also says that "Later models" relied solely on the
caution plate on the L.H. door pillar and on the engine number stamping
behind the distributor and did away with the frame stamping. The funny thing
is that this book gives no indication of what "early model" or "late model"
actually mean. I imagine the only way to find out is to scrape the dirt off
the frame above the front right hand frame rail and see if there's a number
stamped there. Hope this is helpful.

Dustin
50 & 53 GMC 1/2 tons

You wrote:

The '50 GMC I'm looking at is missing the VIN plate.
Checked with the Florida DMV, to see what I'm going to
be faced with. They insist that the Auto Theft Division
knows a secret place on the frame where the original VIN
is stamped. I know this is the case on later vehicles,
but thought we had disproved this myth a long time back,
on this list. Can anyone shed any light? If there is
such a VIN - where is it?

Jack / Winter Park FL