Re: [oletrucks] Silicone Brake Fluid

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Silicone Brake Fluid
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:47:05 EDT
In a message dated 10/27/99 5:59:51 AM, jimamy@n-connect.net writes:

<< Anyone had any experience with silicone brake fluid?

Jim
49,50,51- 3600 >>

Quite a while back the vette list had a major thread on this. . .the end
result was that silicon brake fluid was a bad idea.  Moisture would still get
in the system but would pool in one place and cause corrsion there vs. being
absorbed throughout the fluid for the regular stuff. . .either way moisture
is still bad news.  I believe silcone was also listed as being more
compressible (spongy feel) and could cause seal problems.  It was also noted
that it was bad for any vehicle with ABS brakes, not relevant to old trucks
but maybe your other vehicles. . .

The suggested solution from these fanatics?  Use the highest quality standard
type brake fluid you are willing to pay for (I now use Valvoline synthetic,
which is non silicone) and flush the system every year. . .easy if you
install speed bleeders.

A major advantage to silicone?  It doesn't eat paint like the regular fluid
does.  Brian's 57 pickup now needs a wheel repaint since a wheel cylinder
blew and got all over the wheel.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban
Knoxville, TN