Re: [oletrucks] Lowering TF Rearend

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Lowering TF Rearend
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:48:25 -0700
Bob--

I did this to the new chassis I am putting in my 57 Suburban.  I did not
see the video the other fellow mentioned...but, here's how mine went,
relying on memory from about a year and a half ago when I did the work.

You need to remove the rivets and the old spring hangers...torch or
drill the heads off the rivets, and drive them out.  There is also a
crossmember that goes between the rear spring hangers (riveted in),
which you will need to remove.  The front spring hangers are not going
to bolt right in, the holes are all in the wrong place, so you need to
drill new bolt holes.  I used 7/16" bolts.  Also, you will need to drill
holes for the shackles to go thru the frame, about 1-1/4" diameter.
Since I am doing a Suburban, I had to worry about the frame extensions,
and this caused some problems with the rear crossmember...but if it's a
pickup, you can just move it back a few inches to clear the new
hangers.  Keep in mind that the old front spring hangers will be used in
the opposite position, that is, front will be back, and back will be
front...so the rear springs will still have the pivot in front, and the
shackle at the rear.  I bought new bushings, pins, and shackles, and
disassembled and sandblasted and painted the springs before reassembling
it all.

The spring pads will need to be cut off the rearend housing, and placed
on the bottom of the housing, closer together.  The angle will be
different, so you need to do some careful angle checking to make sure
you get them on right, so the driveline angle will be correct.  I try to
keep the front of the pinion of the rearend down a degree or two from
the engine/tranny centerline.

I have not put this truck on the road yet...but the chassis does look
neat, with that clean, narrow 57 F*rd wagon 9" housing in there, and the
slicks mounted for "rollers".

Jim