Re: [oletrucks] HEI Conversion

To: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] HEI Conversion
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:08:55 -0400
This is a fairly easy conversion. Buffalo Enterprises (see Chevytrucks
vendor links) does it for about $55 on your HEI core. Or Stovebolt has them
already modified for I think $125. Dimensions are the same for Chevy or GMC
inlines. $25 is a decent price for a core. Be sure the shaft bushings aren't
worn out, some 6 cyl HEI's had this problem,  which resulted from inaccurate
machining of the block mounting surface.

Advantages of the HEI are: no points to set, super hot spark to the plugs,
full mechanical and vacuum advance, and if you ever need to replace the
module or vacuum can, you can get one anywhere. Accel, MSD etc offer a
myriad of fancy accessories for the HEI, as it came standard on so many
small block V8's over the years.

The round collar is ground off the shaft, and the end tang is modified to
make full contact with the oil pump. They also groove the shaft for a
O-ring, to prevent oil seeping out around the shaft, and provide a new
hold-down clamp. Nothing is changed internally in the distributor. A new
primary wire from the switch (10 ga) is the only other change.

The only negative on the HEI is that it looks like it came off a John Deere,
especially the integral coil versions (there is also a model that uses a
separate coil which can be mounted anywhere). And if you want to use one of
those fancy finned alloy pushrod covers, the HEI won't fit without grinding.
But it fits fine with the stock tin cover.

I've had an HEI in my GMC for about 4 years without ever removing the
distributor cap. It replaced a Mallory Unilite, which looked cool but having
no vacuum advance didn't perform worth a crap.

Jack / Winter Park FL