Re: [oletrucks] More on the ID plates

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] More on the ID plates
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:46:44 -0700
Bill--

The Task Force trucks have two plates...the small one is a stainless
steel plate that has the VIN stamped into it, and is spot welded to the
door jamb or windshield pillar...the big one is a silkscreened blue on
aluminum plate that has the engine and GVW data screened, and the paint
and trim codes are stamped into it, and is riveted onto the jamb
(between the hinges).

The small VIN tag can be cleaned with aircraft remover, if you want, but
the big one is hard to fix if it's ever been messed up.  You can
probably use laquer thinner or stripper to remove the thepaint, but the
original printing will probably go away as well.  I got lucky on my 3
trucks...they all have unmolested tags, and I've taken care to mask
them  whenever doing any stripping or painting in the area.  Don't put
masking tape on the blue paint on the big tag...it will pull it off.
Use masking paper, with a small bit of tape around the edges where it's
bare metal.

Jim