Re: [oletrucks] Rear End Primer

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear End Primer
From: Max Power <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 13:22:02 -0500

> Max Power,
> Did you replace the gear set yourself or did you have a shop do it?  I have
> contemplated doing one myself numerous times but get "scared off" by the
> apparent difficulty in shimming, aligning, etc.  If you did it yourself, is
> it difficult?

Hi Jon.  Sorry, I forgot to post my name at the end of the reply.  My kids keep
changing my name in the Netscape preferences, hence the Swinging Alligator,
Seymour Bunz, and Now Max Power.  Gotta love 'em!

Yes I did rebuild it myself.  But I have access to the dial indicators and stuff
to line it up for the correct backlash, etc.  Unfortunately, I have not been
able to drive this rear end yet, so the jury is out on how well my installation
was performed!  But it is a bit tricky, and can involve assembly and disassembly
a number of times to get the shims correct.  If you have any fears of not doing
it correctly, it might pay to have a qualified mechanic handle it.  Maybe Jim
could give some more experienced advice as to whether this should be undertaken
by the average shadetree mechanic.  I'm surely not above average, so I guess I
will cross my fingers and hope the rebuild works OK.

I did pick up a nice driveshaft yesterday at the bone yard, from and 80's
Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon, along with a tilt column out of a 1977
Camaro, $35 for the pair.  I came home with a big grin.  My wife still gets
amused that the highlight of my day is crawling around on the mud in the
drizzling rain salvaging truck parts.

Wally (aka Max Power 'til the kids get busy again)
Templeton, MA
53 3100 rod project