[oletrucks] Wiring harness

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Wiring harness
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:27:51 -0700
Hi...the original wiring for the old trucks generally did not include
any fuses.  I'm not up on how the AD trucks were wired, but the TF
trucks had two thermal breakers (one for headlights, the other for
tail/park/stop) and one small fuse (inst. panel lights) in the light
switch.  There was also an optional fuse panel, which was used for
accessories such as radio and heater, but not all trucks that got the
radio and heater had the fuse panel.

Most GM cars and trucks from the 50s to the 80s did NOT have any fuses
for the headlight circuit.  They are wired straight thru...the 50s
trucks had a breaker on the outside of the light switch, but later
models had the breaker hidden inside the light switch.  As long as you
are using a GM light switch, you should be just fine without adding any
fuses, as long as you know there's a breaker in it.  I think this is a
safety thing...if your headlight fuse blows, no one can see you coming.
But, the breaker they use resets, so it will cause the lights to blink
quickly if there is a short circuit.

Jim