[oletrucks] worn steering gear box

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] worn steering gear box
From: "Jared W" <chevyolds@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:51:41 GMT
Hey guys,

We put over 1200 miles on the truck this summer and have finally decided to
do some thing with the loose steering. We now have the steering gear sitting
on the bench. It has a worn sector shaft bushing and seal - not that big a
problem. However, what can be done with the wear in the housing side cover
bushing (pilot end of sector shaft)? Shop manual says to replace the side
cover with a new bushing already installed (it is not practical to replace
only the bushing). I've seen catalogs listing the bushing in the rebuild
kit, but is it possible to replace just the pilot end bushing and not the
entire cover? Is it possible to get a new side cover with the bushing
installed? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jared
51 chevy 1/2 ton