[oletrucks] Howdyaget an "Easy Out" Out?

To: old-chevy-truck@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Howdyaget an "Easy Out" Out?
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:10:56 EST
    I'm back to work today on the same broken bolt that stymied me several
weeks ago. The first part of the job was to use a Dremel Moto Tool to grind
the shaft of the broken bolt level inside the hole. Once this was done I
figured on using the new toys the Snap-On guy delivered Wednesday, an
extractor set with drill guides. I had high hopes for the drill guides, but
bumped into an unpleasant surprise before I could use them.
    The Dremel with a rotary grinding bit did clean up the hole so that I
could see what was going on, and it looks like a metallic five pointed star
is imbedded in the broken bolt. It is very tough, and even the new Cobalt
drills won't touch it, just skating across the surface. Could this be what is
left of an "Easy-Out" that somebody broke off and just gave up on?
    What now? I think I'll go back out and work with the Dremel awhile, but I
doubt that will get much further down. I would sure hate to have to drag the
entire motor out to a machine shop to have one oil pan bolt removed, but I'm
runnin' out of ideas.

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://www.aeromark.net