[oletrucks] 50 1/2 ton

To: <mr52pickup@earthlink.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 50 1/2 ton
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:18:58 -0600
The truck I got about 3 weeks ago was sitting out in the weather since 1981.
I have never seen so much rust. Amazingly, no rust thru except the rear
lower cab just to the inside of the lower corners. The floorboard was
totally rusted out. So far..

1) I got the engine running (perfect) by simply changing the oil, cleaning
out the old water/antifreeze, changing plugs and plug wires, new fuel pump
and fuel filter, and carb kit. Wow!! Couldnt believe it! Turned over right
away! No smoke, runs like a top.. Vehicle has 29000 original miles on it so
steering gear and all is still tight!

2) Reupholstered the seats, door covers, headliner (since the seat was just
springs and I couldnt even sit on it.

3) Welded in a new floorboard using replica metal floor parts that make it
look perfectly original.

4) Removed the bed (its not in bad shape but no wood) and began what is
turning out to be a REAL pain in the ass!!

5) RUST removal!! Geeze man! I wonder if there is anything that sucks
worse!! I bought a sand blaster (sears cheapie) and I use a drill with wire
brush and Dremel tool for the hard to get places. I cant belive how much
rust!! I am gettin plenty of iron in my diet as my nose is fulla iron oxide!

Good news is, altho there is no brakes (parts are all there but brake lines
are shot) and no exhaust system, I have a pretty solid project. My thing now
is, getting the new 12 volt wiring harness, alternator, resistor step downs
for the heater motor, points, horn relay, and fuel gauge so I can get a
battery in it so I can start it at will.

Anyhow, thot I would share! Good luck on your project and its great meeting
people who are also going thru the same thing! :) Tips and Tricks WELCOME!!

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, Kansas - 1950 Chevy 1/2 Ton (3100)